Sports & Recreation
Exercise and physical activity are good for everyone and especially important for children with diabetes. Whether it's a team sport, a solo sport or an outdoor adventure that your child enjoys, planning is key. Blood glucose (BG) levels can drop during or after exercise so be on the look-out, be prepared and check often.
- Referee. Talk to your diabetes team to make good decisions about how to prepare for physical activity and what to do when blood glucose goes up or down during activity.
- Practice. Create and follow a diabetes care routine with your child of what they need to do to every time before they play.
- Huddle. Make sure coaches or other adults they designate are aware that your child has diabetes, can recognize symptoms and know what to do.
- Fuel the body. Exercising and spending energy may mean your child will need a larger than usual snack. Include protein, such as string cheese, or a turkey sandwich and complex carbs like whole wheat crackers or an apple.
- Know your stats. Your child should test BG level before physical activity and again, every half-hour during activity. Help your child keep track of time by providing a stop watch for an adult on the sidelines to set after each check or give your child a special watch with an alarm to help her remember. If blood glucose is high, your child should stop exercising and check urine for ketones. If ketones are present, get medical help.
- Be prepared. In case of severe hypoglycemia, be sure a trained adult is present to administer glucagon.
- Cool down.The effects of physical activity may not show up immediately afterward. Keep on eye on BG levels for up to 24 hours, especially after strenuous activity.
- Replay. Discuss with your child how he or she felt physically before, during and after competing. Go over the glucose numbers that were collected and make adjustments wherever necessary with the help of your diabetes team.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!
Become a Red Strider! Know someone with diabetes? Walk for them!
Every dollar you give can be doubled until May 15th to help Stop Diabetes!
Scroll through our calendar of EXPOs to find out when there will be one near you.
Ditch the chips! We've got recipes for eight healthy snacks you'll love to eat.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Get motivated with our newly revised “I Hate to Exercise” book
Subscribe to our blog! It’s the best way to see what we’re up to at the Association.
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Order your Diabetes Forecast® today! 25 Tips to healthy living. Click here to start.
Check out our site full of vegetarian meal planning ideas!
Find your local office to get involved in your community.
A new tool to increase the convenience of portion management
Get recipes, tips and more! Join the conversation!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes