Teens & Parties
Alcohol and drugs can have an immediate effect on blood glucose (BG) levels. They can affect a person's awareness of a low BG as well as her ability to treat a low BG. Often people who have consumed alcohol say the feeling is similar to a low BG - making it hard to tell the difference and making it very dangerous.
Here are some tips to help you and your child be prepared for situations where she’s offered alcohol, cigarettes or drugs.
These tips should also be helpful as your child transitions into adulthood when it becomes legal to drink (age 21) or is frequently around others who do (i.e., at college).
- Ask your D-team to discuss the affects of alcohol, cigarettes and drugs on diabetes with your teen.
- Ask your teen about their conversation with the D-team. Be sure they understand what happens when a person with diabetes drinks alcohol, or uses tobacco or drugs.
- Discuss peer pressure. Share ways you handled these kinds of issues as a teen.
- Listen closely and try not to sound like you’re nagging.
- Remind your teen to always have her D-supplies and wear a medical ID bracelet or necklace.
When offered an alcoholic drink or cigarettes, here are some ways your teen can politely decline.
- No thanks - I'm cool!
- No thanks – I’m the designated driver!
- No thanks – I have diabetes and if I drink or smoke, it can make me really sick. I’d rather be here the whole night and have a good time than have to leave early!
If you have diabetes, you are a Red Strider. Register today.
Start summer with some sizzle! Recipes for fish tacos, grilled mango, and more.
This new cookbook is packed with more than 150 mouthwatering recipes for every occasion!
Custom invitations and table cards with your honor gift.
Our new meal planning tools made just for you.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Order your Diabetes Forecast®! 12 Grilled Favorites and 35+ Travel Tips. Start Here
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Sign up for our FREE recipe club and get cookin’!
Learn more about NASCAR driver Ryan Reed and his mission!
Are you incorporating fish into your diet? Learn why you should!
Learn more about how you can better manage your diabetes.
Fairness for kids with diabetes at camp and other programs
Visit our online community today!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes