"I didn't think it was a big deal, but Michael got so mad at me when I told our neighbor that he had diabetes. I guess he just wasn't ready."
- Being diagnosed with diabetes is a life-changing event. For many kids, it takes time to accept their new reality and be ready to share with others.
- As a parent, you may want to tell everyone that your child has diabetes in an effort to ensure her safety, especially at school. Though your school nurse, teachers and principal need to know, it's up to her to tell her friends and others.
- Before spreading the news, ask your child how he feels. If he's not ready to share, respect his decision and help him to feel more comfortable about diabetes.
- If she's ready, talk about ways to tell others. Remember to keep it simple and direct. Also prepare her for some of the reactions she may face.
Reactions and What You Can Prepare Your Child to Say
Tell them everything is OK. You are managing your diabetes and you can do anything anyone else can.
- Want to know more
Teach them about diabetes, the differences between type 1 and type 2, and how you manage your blood glucose.
- Get scared
Tell them lots of people live regular lives with type 1 diabetes and that you'll be OK!
- Think they're going to catch it
Explain that diabetes is not contagious. You can't catch it like a cold.
- Think you just ate too much candy
Explain you don't get diabetes from eating too much sugar. Type 1 diabetes is an auto-immune disease. It's not preventable in anyway.
- Treat you like you're sick
Tell them that by managing your blood glucose, you can do anything they can do.
- Want to help
Thank them and tell them what to look for in case your blood glucose goes low. You can also encourage them to join you and get involved with the American Diabetes Association to raise funds for a cure, as well as education and advocacy programs that help people with diabetes.
Last Reviewed: July 25, 2013
Last Edited: September 18, 2013
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!