Diabetes Affects Siblings Too
When a child is diagnosed with diabetes, the whole family is affected. Every child is different and will handle the diagnosis differently. Here are some ways you can help each child adjust to life with diabetes.
- Ask questions about feelings and fears. It's often hard to share feelings of fear, guilt and jealousy. Show affection to your other children by asking questions that help them to open up to you.
- Teach siblings about diabetes, but limit the amount of responsibility you give to them. It is really important to teach all of your children about diabetes to calm their fears and so they can learn how to help. But it's equally important not to give too much responsibility to them. Too much responsibility can be stressful – even for a teenager.
- Talk about other things. Declare a time of day – after dinner or on the way to school are great options – when you make a point to talk about other stuff. This helps all of your children to remember that you are living with diabetes – but your life is not all about diabetes.
- Treat each child individually. Fairness does not mean treating your children equally. Fairness is valuing and admiring your child's individuality. Make time for each child. Respect each child's unique interests, needs and abilities.
- Listen to and observe changes in your child. Be sure all of your children know that you're always there to listen, and really listen when they come to you. Often it's easy to hear what someone is saying, but truly listening is always harder to do. Be curious. Pay careful attention to what your child shares. Not every comment or feeling needs a solution or response. Just listen with your full heart.
- Let siblings be siblings. Your kids will still want to play, argue and compete with one another. They'll have their private jokes, conversations and secrets that all siblings have together. Diabetes doesn't change that – neither should you.
- Seek help, when needed. There may be a time when you've done all you can do. You are not alone – your D-team can help you find an expert who has helped families deal with stress.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!
Become a Red Strider! Know someone with diabetes? Walk for them!
Every dollar you give can be doubled until May 15th to help Stop Diabetes!
Scroll through our calendar of EXPOs to find out when there will be one near you.
Ditch the chips! We've got recipes for eight healthy snacks you'll love to eat.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Get motivated with our newly revised “I Hate to Exercise” book
Subscribe to our blog! It’s the best way to see what we’re up to at the Association.
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Order your Diabetes Forecast® today! 25 Tips to healthy living. Click here to start.
Check out our site full of vegetarian meal planning ideas!
Find your local office to get involved in your community.
A new tool to increase the convenience of portion management
Get recipes, tips and more! Join the conversation!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes