As you and your child set out on the journey of life with diabetes, you'll find that each day is a little different and you both may make mistakes along the way.
Mistakes can make you feel guilty, scared and stressed. But try to focus on the next step. The important thing to remember is that you can't be perfect and everyone makes mistakes.
When Mistakes Happen
- Prepare for the "what if's" by talking with your D-team. For example, ask what to do if your child misses an insulin shot, eats without covering, takes too much insulin or has a high or low BG.
- Remember that everyone with diabetes has high and low BGs even if their diabetes control is considered very good or excellent.
- Don't play the blame game. Whether it's your mistake, your spouse's or your child's, learn from it and move on. Remember that some BG highs and lows are due to things you or your child cannot control. Out of range BG levels can be caused by stress, hormones or for no obvious reason at all.
Communicate About Mistakes
Children are very aware of parents' reactions (even the silent ones!). For reasons as simple as love or fear of disappointment, many children lie to spare their parents from stress. Keep expectations realistic and help your child feel more comfortable about admitting mistakes. Some tips to help you:
- Emphasize that mistakes happen.
- Emphasize that BG highs and lows are not "bad" or "good" and will happen.
- Remind your child that no one is perfect – not even you.
- Remind your child that telling the truth is vital and will not upset or disappoint you.
- Don't offer rewards for keeping BG levels in the target range.
- React to mistakes calmly and productively.
- Try not to nag—and try to move on.
- Continue to let your child perform self-care tasks – it'll build confidence.
Treat mistakes as a chance to learn about your child's diabetes. Think like a scientist. Ask yourself:
- How might this have happened?
- Could it have been prevented?
- What could we learn from this?
- What could we do differently next time?
If you have diabetes, you are a Red Strider. Register today.
Start summer with some sizzle! Recipes for fish tacos, grilled mango, and more.
This new cookbook is packed with more than 150 mouthwatering recipes for every occasion!
Custom invitations and table cards with your honor gift.
Our new meal planning tools made just for you.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Order your Diabetes Forecast®! 12 Grilled Favorites and 35+ Travel Tips. Start Here
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Sign up for our FREE recipe club and get cookin’!
Learn more about NASCAR driver Ryan Reed and his mission!
Are you incorporating fish into your diet? Learn why you should!
Learn more about how you can better manage your diabetes.
Fairness for kids with diabetes at camp and other programs
Visit our online community today!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes