Working Together as a Parental Team
You aren't perfect and neither is your spouse or partner. Managing diabetes is a lot like juggling — a careful balance of activity with food and medication. Even the best jugglers occasionally drop a ball. All you can do is pick it up and start juggling again.
You and your spouse will do things differently. You are different people and you can't read each others' minds.
Remind each other that you are a team and a team works together. Ultimately, your goal is the same — to keep your child healthy and happy.
Parent-to-Parent Communications Tips:
- Talk at a time when you are not already in conflict. If you discuss it in the heat of the moment, you are unlikely to come to a resolution.
- Ask questions and truly listen to each other's responses.
- Share your honest feelings. Not just about the everyday decisions on diabetes care but also the deeper and darker emotions, such as guilt and fear.
- Make decisions together. Be consistent in delivering your decisions. Your child will sense when you are not working together.
- Set realistic expectations. Remember that no one is perfect.
- Try to put yourself in the other person's shoes.
- Stay calm and listen before you react.
Last Reviewed: July 31, 2013
Last Edited: September 24, 2013
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!