Working Together as a Parental Team
You aren't perfect – and neither is your spouse or partner. Managing diabetes is a lot like juggling – a careful balance of activity with food and medication. Even the best jugglers occasionally drop a ball. All you can do is pick it up and start juggling again.
You and your spouse will do things differently. You are different people and you can't read each others' minds. Remind each other that you are a team and a team works together. Ultimately, your goal is the same – to keep your child healthy and happy.
Parent-to-Parent Communications Tips:
- Ask questions and truly listen to each other's responses.
- Share your honest feelings – the everyday decisions on diabetes care and the deeper and darker emotions, such as guilt and fear.
- Make decisions together. Be consistent in delivering your decisions. Your child will sense when you are not working together.
- Set realistic expectations – remember that no one is perfect.
- Try to put yourself in the other person's shoes.
- Stay calm and listen before you react.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!
Become a Red Strider! Know someone with diabetes? Walk for them!
Every dollar you give can be doubled until May 15th to help Stop Diabetes!
Scroll through our calendar of EXPOs to find out when there will be one near you.
Ditch the chips! We've got recipes for eight healthy snacks you'll love to eat.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Get motivated with our newly revised “I Hate to Exercise” book
Subscribe to our blog! It’s the best way to see what we’re up to at the Association.
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Order your Diabetes Forecast® today! 25 Tips to healthy living. Click here to start.
Check out our site full of vegetarian meal planning ideas!
Find your local office to get involved in your community.
A new tool to increase the convenience of portion management
Get recipes, tips and more! Join the conversation!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes