|Meet Your D-Team||Blood Glucose Checks|
|Sick Days||Healthy Eating|
Your cells like to use glucose for energy. Glucose is moved from the bloodstream into the cells by insulin. When there isn't any insulin in your body to move glucose into the cells, your cells start to burn fat. Burning fat produces ketones. High levels of ketones are not good for your body. When ketone levels get too high, you could develop diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) which can lead to a coma and death.
Often, people have DKA when they are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. It can also happen when you have the cold or flu. When you're sick, your body needs more energy to fight off the illness and releases glucose from your liver. Also, sometimes during the illness, stress hormones can increase your need for more insulin, making your blood glucose levels go up.
DKA can also be caused by forgetting to take insulin injections or for pump-users, having a bad infusion site.
The good thing is you can prevent DKA:
- Check your blood glucose often, especially when you're sick
- Know when to check for ketones (askyour diabetes care team what is appropriate for you)
- Call the doctor if you have moderate or large ketones
- Call the doctor if you feel any DKA symptoms
- If you are on a pump and you have ketones with high blood glucose, use a syringe to inject a correction then change your infusion set. You should also consider changing the insulin in your resevoir and tubing. Re-check yuour blood glucose levels and ketones to ensure the new site is working and ketones are clearing.
A lot of symptoms for DKA are similar to symptoms of hyperglycemia. That's because DKA is extreme hyperglycemia.
- Blood glucose level of 240-300 mg/dl or higher
- Ketones are high
- Stomach pains
- Fruity smelling breath
- Lack of appetite
- Extreme thirst
- Peeing A LOT
- Blurry vision or can't see clearly
- Feeling tired or sleepy
- Difficulty breathing
Find a Camp Near You
The American Diabetes Association’s Diabetes Camps provide a special time for kids with diabetes — one of the best times of the summer and one campers always remember.Learn More
D-People Unite! Share tips, stories, concerns and everyday stuff with your fellow D-People on the Plaent D Message Boards.Learn More
Kids Like You
Learn about other kids like you.Learn More