Support for Your Family
We have a number of incredible resources to help you and your family live with diabetes.
- Everyday Wisdom™ helps your family adjust to the everyday life with diabetes. Inside the insulated lunch bag, you'll find information for kids and teens with diabetes, parents and siblings as well. A set of juggling balls and the Everyday Wisdom card game are included for the whole family. You'll also find carb counting tools, an emergency contact magnet and more.
- Parent Mentors are trained to help parents of children newly diagnosed with diabetes. Because they are parents of children with diabetes themselves, they can offer support and insight many parents look for at diagnosis.
- Planet D is our online experience for children with diabetes. Through diabetes information, personal stories and message boards, kids learn that they aren't so alone. A special thread on the Message Board exists just for siblings.
- The Place for Parents' Message Board is a great place to meet other parents of children with diabetes. Ask questions, read what others are talking about and add your own two-cents.
- Center for Information and Community Support. Call 1-800-DIABETES (342-2383) to get more information, or to be contacted by a parent of a child with diabetes who is trained to help other families through our Family Connections.
Family Link Events offer many ways for your family to connect to others.
- Local Family Link Events are a great place to learn more about diabetes management and research and meet other families in your area. Find a Family Link near you.
- Diabetes Camps give kids and teens with diabetes an opportunity to be around others who live with diabetes, make friends and most importantly, have fun. Learn more about our Diabetes Camps.
- EXPO is an event that brings all things related to diabetes - healthy eating and active living - together under one roof. Participate in cooking or exercise demonstrations, ask medical professionals your questions or learn about the latest in research and technology. It's all at a Diabetes EXPO in your community. Find one near you.
- Family Link E-newsletter is a quarterly e-newsletter with stories from families of children living with diabetes, great tips from parents and experts, new recipes and updates on research, legislation and advocacy. Sign up today.
- Diabetes Forecast is our magazine for people who care about diabetes. Stay informed of the latest research updates, devices and technologies, while reading about how others live with this disease. Visit online to receive a free trial issue of the magazine and view recent articles.
Other Helpful Resources
- MyFoodAdvisor™ is our online nutrition tool that can help you figure out the number of carbs, calories, or fat in more than 5,000 different foods. It can also help you find recipes based on an ingredient or the number of carbs you want in a dish.
- The American Diabetes Association's online store has a rich collection of publications written for parents of children with diabetes, including our Guide To Raising a Child With Diabetes, and 101 Tips for Raising Healthy Kids with Diabetes.
- The National Diabetes Education Program is a federally-funded program sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' National Institutes of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We are one of more than 200 NDEP partners working together at the federal, state, and local levels to reduce the morbidity and mortality associated with diabetes.
Visit www.YourDiabetesInfo.org or call 1-888-693-NDEP (6337) to access many useful tools for families managing diabetes including tips for teens and a helpful guide for school personnel called, "Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed."
Check out our FREE program for tips on living with type 2.
Help us raise $1 million for diabetes research and other essential programs.
New tools for meal preparation made easy!
Bee Well for Life gives fitness tips and helps Stop Diabetes!
Great recipes tap the salad bar, deli, and freezer case to get food on the table.
Learn to make delicious vegetarian dishes with this easy-to-follow cookbook.
Celebrate the holidays with Diabetes Forecast! Best deal–order today!
Food is an important part of the African American culture. See our recipes.
Stay on track with our holiday meal planning tips. Recipes everyone will enjoy!
Was your child recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? Order this free kit.
This personal tracking program is key to diabetes management.
Watch our Stop Diabetes PSA and share with your friends and family.
Recipes for Healthy Living, a holiday survival guide & more!
Get helpful tips for stress-free traveling with diabetes.
Check out our parent mentor volunteer program full of parents just like you!