Aerobic activity makes your heart and bones strong, relieves stress, helps your insulin work better and improves blood flow.
For most people, it’s best to aim for a total of 30 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week.
If you are trying to lose weight, you may want to exercise more than 30 minutes a day.
Try These Activities
Here are some examples of aerobic activity
- Take a brisk walk
- Go dancing
- Take an aerobics class
- Swim or do water aerobics
- Go for a bike ride or use a stationary bike indoors.
If you haven’t been very active recently, you can start out with 5 or 10 minutes a day and work up to more time each week.
You can also split up your activity for the day: For example, take a quick 10-minute walk before or after each meal instead of 30 minutes all at once.
Being Active Throughout the Day
In addition to aerobic activity, there are many ways to be more active during your day.
This can help you burn calories and lower your blood glucose. Here are some examples:
- Walk instead of drive
- Get off the bus a stop early and walk the rest of the wa
- Work in the garden, rake leaves or wash the car
- Play actively with kids
- Walk around while talking on the phone
- Park at the far end of the lot and walk
Next: Weight Loss