Life Insurance Information for People with Diabetes
Once a person is diagnosed with diabetes, life insurance policies sold within the United States can become unaffordable or unavailable. This is because life insurance policies are allowed by state and federal law to "rate" or charge a premium based upon an applicant's health status. In addition, a plan can choose to not provide a policy based upon an applicant's health status.
Even so, it is possible for many people with diabetes to find affordable life insurance policies within the United States. You just have to know where to look. Certain life insurance companies, or carriers, specialize in selling policies to people with chronic health conditions like diabetes.
To find the best life insurance policy for you, please consider the following:
- A major factor in the cost of life insurance policies for people with type 1 or type 2 diabetes is how well they manage their diabetes. If you have a lower A1C, good blood glucose control, lead a healthy lifestyle, and do not have complications from diabetes, chances are your rate will be more reasonable too.
- Find an insurance agent that is experienced in obtaining policies for individuals with "impaired risk" — they will know what carriers may offer you a policy and which one(s) may not.
- Apply for a policy with a life insurance carrier that uses "clinical underwriting" — a process that looks at your total health, not just what health conditions you may have.
- Shop around — on the internet, by phone, or through referrals from family and friends. Becoming your own advocate will help you to find a life insurance policy that best fits your needs.
- Never take NO for an answer. Just because one company rates or declines your application does not mean that another company will not look at you more favorably.
If you have diabetes, you are a Red Strider. Register today.
Start summer with some sizzle! Recipes for fish tacos, grilled mango, and more.
This new cookbook is packed with more than 150 mouthwatering recipes for every occasion!
Custom invitations and table cards with your honor gift.
Our new meal planning tools made just for you.
Learn what BIG discounts on auto insurance may await you.
Order your Diabetes Forecast®! 12 Grilled Favorites and 35+ Travel Tips. Start Here
If you have diabetes, join us for the ride!
Sign up for our FREE recipe club and get cookin’!
Learn more about NASCAR driver Ryan Reed and his mission!
Are you incorporating fish into your diet? Learn why you should!
Learn more about how you can better manage your diabetes.
Fairness for kids with diabetes at camp and other programs
Visit our online community today!
Learn more about Dribble to Stop Diabetes