Other resources

Resources to help people with diabetes to further learn about discrimination and their legal rights.

American Bar Association
The ABA can help recommend attorneys in your area and may also be able to help find free legal assistance. Call 800-285-2221 for details.

Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates
COPAA is an independent, nonprofit organization of attorneys, advocates, and parents established to improve the quality and quantity of legal assistance for parents of children with disabilities.

Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund, Inc.
DREDF is a national law and policy center dedicated to protecting and advancing the civil rights of people with disabilities through legislation, litigation, advocacy, technical assistance, and education and training of attorneys, advocates, persons with disabilities, and parents of children with disabilities. Call 510-644-2555.

Job Accommodation Network
JAN is an international toll-free consulting service that provides information about job accommodations to assist in the hiring, retraining, retention or advancement of persons with disabilities by providing accommodation information. JAN consultants provide information about accommodation methods, devices and strategies and may be reached by calling 1-800-526-7234.

Legal Services Corporation
LSC is a private, non-profit corporation established by Congress in 1974 to provide low income Americans access to civil legal aid through local legal aid programs. For LSC legal aid programs in your area, call 202-336-8800.

National Disability Rights Network
NDRN is a federally mandated system in each state and territory that protects the rights of persons with disabilities through advocacy. Call (202) 408-9514.

National Dissemination Center for Children & Youth With Disabilities
NICHY is the national information and referral center that provides information on disabilities and disability related issues for families, educators and professionals with its primary focus on children and youth. Call 800-695-0285.

National Employment Lawyers Association
NELA is a national professional organization of attorneys who represent employees in employment law cases, and provides assistance to attorneys in the protection of employee rights. Call (415) 227-4655.

TA Alliance for Parents Centers
This Web site provides information on parent centers in each state that provide training and information to parents of infants, toddlers, school-aged children, and young adults with disabilities and the professionals who work with their families.

U.S. Department of Education/Office of Civil Rights
OCR is a division of the US Department of Education responsible for resolving complaints of discrimination under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act. OCR works to ensure equal access to education and promotes educational excellence through enforcement of civil rights. Call 800-421-3481.

U.S. Department of Education/Office of Special Education Programs
OSEP is a component of the Office of Special Education & Rehabilitative Services (OSERS), a division of the US Department of Education. OSEP is responsible for the administration of programs and projects relating to the free appropriate public education of all children, youth and adults with disabilities, from birth to age 21, under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. Call 202-205-5507.

U.S. Department of Justice
DOJ provides materials and assistance regarding discrimination violations in programs, services and activities of state and local government or violations in public accommodations. Call 800-514-0301.

U.S. Department of Labor
DOL provides materials and assistance to individuals and employers regarding rights and responsibilities under the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993. Call 800-959-FMLA (3652).

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
The EEOC provides materials and assistance to individuals and employers regarding rights and responsibilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Call 800-669-EEOC to order materials and obtain assistance. Complaints about violations of employment by units of state and local government or by private employers should be filed with the EEOC. Call 800-669-4000 to reach the field office in your area.

Workplace Fairness
Workplace Fairness is a non-profit organization that helps to preserve and promote employee rights and provides information about job rights and employment issues around the country. Visit their website to read easy-to-understand information on a range of worker's issues.

  • Last Reviewed: October 1, 2013
  • Last Edited: October 16, 2013

Articles from Diabetes Forecast® magazine:

Diabetes Forecast