Healthy Tips When Time Is Short
The Mediterranean lifestyle focuses on foods prepared in your own kitchen. But even if we make a conscious effort to cook more at home, there are still bound to be occasions when there is not enough time.
This doesn't have to interfere with your healthy habits. You still have many nutritious foods to choose from when you are short on time and many of them will fit into a Mediterranean meal plan.
Keep These Foods Handy
- Low-fat yogurt, non-fat yogurt, or low-fat Greek yogurt.
- Mix 4 ounces of yogurt with some fresh berries and sprinkle some chopped nuts on top for a quick snack that you can eat on the run.
- A variety of raw or dry-roasted unsalted nuts.
- Try making your own nut mix with pistachios, almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, soy nuts, etc.
- Double recipes so you have leftovers and take a portion for lunch for the next day.
- Soups and stews taste especially good the next day since the ingredients have had time to sit and soak up the different flavors.
- Whole fruit, like peaches, nectarines, Clementines, oranges, small apples, pears, and bananas.
- Pre-cut vegetables or fruit.
- Sometimes these are also individually packaged in snack-sized portions.
- Hummus, balsamic vinegar, almond butter, and peanut butter
- These are great for dipping vegetables, fruit, and whole wheat pita bread.
- You may also be able to find single serving packages of peanut butter or hummus.
- Fruit cocktail or pineapple chunks canned in juice.
- 100% whole wheat pita and regular bread.
Need to Grab a Quick Bite?
- Order broth-based vegetable or bean soup if available on the menu.
- Look for sandwiches or wraps with grilled or fresh vegetables and hummus.
- Order a Greek salad with the dressing on the side.
- Order a tomato or cucumber salad if available.
- Opt for fresh vegetables, fresh fruit, beans or rice as side dishes.
- Ask for whole wheat bread, wraps, or pitas on lunch sandwiches.
- Stay away from double-decker sandwiches and fried menu items.
- Remember that the Mediterranean eating pattern focuses on fresh vegetables with small portions of fish and other lean sources of protein.
See more Food & Kitchen Tips
A Mediterranean Meal Plan
September's meal plan features traditional foods from the Mediterranean region that are heart-healthy and delicious.
See Meal Plan
The Mediterranean Diet - What's the Story?
Learn about the benefits of the Mediterranean Diet and how to incorporate this heart-healthy way of eating into your own meals.