What Will You Do to Stop Diabetes®? The Future is in Your Hands.
November 8, 2010
The American Diabetes Association kicks-off American Diabetes Month® today by asking the public – What will you do to Stop Diabetes®? The future is in your hands. To help the Association raise awareness about the seriousness of diabetes and the importance of prevention and control, Bret Michaels, musician and winner of NBC’s “Celebrity Apprentice,” is representing the “Face of Diabetes” and is involved in various activities including being featured in a public service announcement campaign that he helped produce.
For years, the American Diabetes Association has used American Diabetes Month as an opportunity to raise awareness about diabetes and its serious complications. In 2009, the Association launched a national movement to Stop Diabetes – with the audacious goal of gathering the support of millions of Americans to help confront, fight and most importantly, stop diabetes. So far, more than 835,000 people have joined the movement to Stop Diabetes (as of November 2010). The Association’s goal is to gather 1 million supporters by the end of December.
“We are so delighted to be kicking off American Diabetes Month with Bret Michaels and, at the same time, celebrating our one year anniversary of our Stop Diabetes movement,” said Larry Hausner, CEO, American Diabetes Association. “It is truly amazing to see all of those who have joined the movement thus far and we are excited to continue the momentum.”
The Association is encouraging the public to become a part of the movement by visiting stopdiabetes.com or calling 800-DIABETES to:
- Share* – “Share Your Vision to Stop Diabetes” by posting your video on stopdiabetes.com
- Incorporate the hand as a symbol of the movement in a 30-second video online to show your passion and commitment to changing the future of diabetes. Be sure to check out our sample videos at stopdiabetes.com made available by VSP® Vision Care.
- Once the video submissions are complete, the public will be able to vote for the most compelling video. The top 3 finalists will receive an Apple® iPad® and the winner will be part of a Stop Diabetes public service announcement. The “Share Your Vision to Stop Diabetes” video contest is sponsored by VSP® Vision Care.
- *Video submissions will not be accepted after November 30, 2010.
- Act – The future of diabetes is in your hands. Take action now by visiting stopdiabetes.com or calling 1-800-DIABETES.
- Text JOIN to 69866 to join the movement to Stop Diabetes. Standard data and message rates apply.
- Become one of the millions in the movement.
- Become an Advocate for the cause and receive alerts and critical information to help Stop Diabetes through our advocacy efforts.
- Attend a local community activity to learn more about diabetes and how you can stop it.
- Take control of your health. Request your free copy of “Top Five Ways to Stop Diabetes and Get Healthy Right Now!” or “What Can I Eat?” booklet by calling 1-800-DIABETES.
- Download your own Check Up Checklist at stopdiabetes.com and bring it to your next health care provider’s visit.
- Learn – Become a part of the movement by learning more about diabetes.
- Learn how to survive the holidays with the “Celebration Survival Guide” available at stopdiabetes.com or 1-800-DIABETES.
- This holiday season, mix shopping and supporting a great cause: stopping diabetes. Visit the American Diabetes Association’s new shopdiabetes.org for cookbooks, lifestyle books, holiday cards and gift ideas. Proceeds from your purchases help support the Association’s mission.
- Take your daily routine – shopping, working out, and online surfing – one step further this November and help Stop Diabetes. Visit our corporate supporters who are sponsoring promotions that give back to the Association. Take advantage of screenings, discounts, sweepstakes, coupons and more while raising important funds for diabetes research, education and advocacy.
Nearly 24 million children and adults in the United States have diabetes. Diabetes contributes to the deaths of more than 230,000 Americans each year. The American Diabetes Association estimates that the total cost of diagnosed diabetes in the United States is more than $174 billion; further published studies suggest that when additional costs for gestational diabetes, pre-diabetes and undiagnosed diabetes are included, the total diabetes-related costs in the United States could exceed $218 billion.
For more information about how you can join the American Diabetes Association’s movement to Stop Diabetes during American Diabetes Month, visit stopdiabetes.com or call 1-800-DIABETES (1-800-342-2383).
Joining the Movement
The following companies have joined the movement to Stop Diabetes by creating special offers and promotions to help raise awareness and funds in support American Diabetes Month: VSP® Vision Care, Rite Aid Pharmacy, HearPO Corporation, Catherines Specialty Fashion Stores, Diet V8 Splash, Gold’s Gym, Nutrisystem D, T-Fal Cookware, Z Galleries, Walgreens and Verizon Wireless.
The American Diabetes Association is leading the fight to Stop Diabetes and its deadly consequences and fighting for those affected by diabetes. The Association funds research to prevent, cure and manage diabetes; delivers services to hundreds of communities; provides objective and credible information; and gives voice to those denied their rights because of diabetes. For the past 75 years, our mission has been to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.