Diabetes Forecast Magazine Inspires People with Diabetes to Get Moving
July 5, 2012
Regular exercise offers many benefits, but it’s important for people with diabetes to have an effective management plan before, during and after a workout. In its July issue, Diabetes Forecast, the consumer magazine of the American Diabetes Association, presents many motivational stories and suggestions for controlling diabetes with exercise—whether you’re planning to run three miles or 30.
Serving Up Big Goals: Elizabeth Profit is an average 15-year-old girl in many ways, aside from the fact she has type 1 diabetes and is training full-time to become a professional tennis player. Her inspiring story and success on the court show other children and teens with diabetes it’s possible to compete in sports and stay in control of your diabetes.
The Making of an Ironman: Cliff Scherb has diabetes, but that hasn’t stopped him from participating in numerous Ironman races, managing his own coaching business and training other top athletes with diabetes. His story illustrates that with patient practice and determination, people with diabetes have the potential to compete in triathlons made up of a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike ride and 26.2-mile run.
Going the Distance: This guide to managing diabetes for the endurance athlete provides tips on how to better control blood glucose based on personal needs and fitness levels.
Additional exciting features and columns in the July 2012 issue of Diabetes Forecast include:
- A look at celiac disease, a poorly understood illness that affects about 10 percent of people with type 1 diabetes, and how the two conditions may be caused by the same factors.
- New collections of chic diabetes accessories and tips for wearing diabetes gear.
- The technology behind test strips and how it has made living with diabetes easier.
- How a caregiver can find common ground with a loved one’s physician.
- New therapies and research that may lead to better control and reduced complications for people who take insulin.
- Gluten-free recipes including carrot-maple muffins and pizza crust.
Diabetes Forecast has been America’s leading diabetes magazine for more than 60 years, offering the latest news on diabetes research and treatment to provide information, inspiration and support to people with diabetes.
The American Diabetes Association is leading the fight to Stop Diabetes and its deadly consequences and fighting for those affected by diabetes. The Association funds research to prevent, cure and manage diabetes; delivers services to hundreds of communities; provides objective and credible information; and gives voice to those denied their rights because of diabetes. For the past 75 years, our mission has been to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes.