73rd Scientific Sessions Press Conference Audio
Audio recordings of press conferences held at the 73rd Scientific Sessions in Chicago, June 2013.
Major Advance Toward an Artificial Pancreas
Friday, June 21, 9 a.m.
Moderator: Anne Peters, MD, University of Southern California
- Rich Bergenstal, MD, Executive Director of the International Diabetes Center at Park Nicollet and Principal Investigator
All Fat is Not Bad
Friday, June 21, 11 a.m.
Moderator: Steven Smith, MD, Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute; Scientific Director, Translational Research Institute for Metabolism & Diabetes
- Laurie Goodyear, PhD, Joslin Section Head, Senior Investigator, Associate Professor, Harvard Medical School
- Kristin Stanford, PhD, Postdoctoral Fellow, Joslin Diabetes Center
When Does Type 1 Diabetes Begin to Develop?
Friday, June 21, 2 p.m.
Moderator: Lori Laffel, MD, MPH, Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston, MA
- Jay Sosenko, MD, Professor of Medicine and Epidemiology, University of Miami
- William Hagopian, MD, PhD, Lead Researcher, Scientific Director of Pacific Northwest Diabetes Research Institute; Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Washington
- Jakko Tuomilehto, Emeritus Professor of Public Health, University of Helsinki, Finland
- John S. Yudkin, MD, Emeritus Professor of Medicine, University College, London; Chairman, International Insulin Foundation
Major Long-Term Benefits of Intensive Therapy for Type 1 Diabetes
Saturday, June 22, 2 p.m.
Moderator: Jay Skyler, MD, University of Miami Diabetes Research Institute
- David M. Nathan, MD, Director, Massachusetts General Hospital Diabetes Center; DCCT/EDIC Co-chair
- John Lachin, MD, Principal Investigator
- Judith Fradkin, MD, Director, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, NIDDK
- Ian deBoer, MD, Investigator
Can Health Care Systems Motivate Patients to Change their Lifestyles and Improve their Health?
Sunday, June 23, 9 a.m.
Moderator: David Marrero, PhD, Director, Diabetes Translational Research Center; Indiana University School of Medicine
- Sandra Jackson, MPH, PhD candidate in Nutrition and Health Science, Emory University
- Lawrence S. Phillips, MD, Professor of Medicine, Emory University, Division of Endocrinology; Director of Clinical Studies Center, Atlanta VA Medical Center
Pathway to Stop Diabetes: The American Diabetes Association's Bold New Research Initiative
Sunday, June 23, 1 p.m.
Moderator: Robert Ratner, MD, FACP, FACE, Chief Scientific & Medical Officer, American Diabetes Association
- C. Ronald Kahn, MD, Chair of the Mental Advisory Group
- John E. Anderson, MD, President, Medicine & Science, American Diabetes Association
- Mara Darsow, PhD, Vice President, Research Programs, American Diabetes Association
Results of the Look AHEAD Trial
Monday, June 24, 2:30 p.m.
Moderator: Sue Kirkman, MD, University of North Carolina
- Rena Wing, PhD, Chair of Look AHEAD, Professor of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Alpert Medical School, Brown University
- William Knowler, MD, PhD, MPH, Diabetes Epidemiology & Clinical Research Section, NIDDK
- Lucy Faulconbridge, PhD, Assistant Professor of Psychology, Director of Research, Center for Weight and Eating Disorders, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
- Mary Evans, PhD, Project Scientist, Director of Look AHEAD, Special Projects in Nutrition, Obesity and Digestive Diseases, NIDDK
- Henry Glick, PhD, Professor of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Pennsylvania