What causes diabetes? Find out and take control.
The good news is you can prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
All you have to do is decide. Decide to stay at a healthy weight. Decide to eat well. Decide to be active. If you’re at-risk, paying attention to living a healthy lifestyle or getting early treatment can, for some, actually return blood sugar levels to a normal range. So, take a breath—and then take action.
If you’re looking for ideas on how to get started—or reverse the course of what’s already underway—we have everything you need. Our risk test can help you assess your risk level. We have a full slate of fitness ideas, nutritional plans, and tips to help you move forward.
But no matter what you do, do something, because the power to live the life you want to is entirely in your hands.
Even if you have prediabetes…
There are many factors you can control. Prediabetes is a condition that can lead to type 2 diabetes and even heart disease. Your chances of having prediabetes go up if you:
- Are 45 or older
- Are Black, Hispanic/Latino, American Indian, Asian American or Pacific Islander
- Have a parent, brother or sister with diabetes
- Are overweight
- Are physically inactive
- Have high blood pressure or take medicine for high blood pressure
- Have low HDL cholesterol and/or high triglycerides
- Had diabetes during pregnancy
- Have been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome